I won’t ever forget the day our 8-yr old little guy was just a toddler of 16 months or so, and sat stacking blocks while I played the piano.
As Mom plunked out a tune, he began humming a familiar hymn — on pitch.
I paused, and listened as he carried on with verse, then chorus, then verse…and back and forth through most of the song! We’re an incredibly musical family, everyone taken up with one instrument or more, but still, this fascinated me.
Turns out, music is our 2nd grader’s area of strongest aptitude, truly a natural gift.
So when the offer came to receive some music appreciation curriculum (at no cost to us), and to be compensated for our time to review the product, both my guy and I were thrilled. We’ve poured over the contents for weeks, and want to share our thoughts with you.
As a musician and homeschool parent, I recommend this program with confidence!
Music Appreciation for Elementary Students
Zeezok’s music curriculum is written for children through grade 6; I used their product with my 2nd grader.
Allow me to share a peek into what all comes with the Book 1 collection:
- 7 readers of composer biographies: well-written literature covering the childhood & adulthood of each composer with black and white sketches and musical selections throughout; our 8-yr old read these on his own, but could be read-alouds as well
- 5 music discs: professionally recorded music of all selections in the books (performed exactly as written), plus other supplemental music
- 1 student activity book: separated into weekly lessons for each composer, this activity book is chock-full of comprehension questions, geography & history lessons, recipes, timelines and MUCH more!
My favorite portion of Zeezok’s activity book are the character qualities notes highlighting a trait such as kindness.
Also, exact pages of where in the reader you’ll find an example of the trait is provided. This may not seem like a big deal, but it’s a wonderful skill for children to cultivate, and one used in standardized testing.
You know…questions like this: which line above tells you this information?
So, using these page references, we practiced going back in the story to find the info on character — thank you Zeezok!
- 1 lapbook CD: includes all templates and pictures necessary to make lapbooks for each composer (see more below).
Mozart Composer Study
Zeezok makes studying music appreciation incredibly EASY for a homeschool Mom!
Outside of reading the introduction of the activity book, I simply turned to the appropriate section of the book and got started. Literally — NO PREP.
Each chapter of our Mozart reader had comprehension questions to answer in the activity book (can be done written or verbally).
- learned much about Mozart’s parents and childhood
- listened to several musical selections
- learned more about how powerful music is in culture
- discovered new musical terms & their definitions
- learned what other composers lived & created music during Mozart’s life
- and more!
But the most enjoyed activity by my boy was creating the lap book (used to cement much of the above learning).
Music Curriculum for All Homeschool Styles
Zeezok has created a wonderful, comprehensive music curriculum! A one-time purchase (outside of extra student activity books) which can be used in your homeschool for years to come without growing outdated.
Plus, pretty much any homeschooling style could benefit:
- for the Charlotte Mason bent, there are ‘living books’ in the form of readers – full of historically accurate information, no twaddle!
- for the Classical or Classical Conversations family, all information is presented in a chronological format and is an excellent supplement to ongoing music study (i.e. our Mozart study would be great for Cycle 1)
- for the Unschooling or Eclectic — Zeezok outlines a plan, but pull from it what you’d like and start with any composer (no need to go in order)! Your child can read the books alone or just take in the CDs, or mix and match to their heart’s delight.
We could go on right? 🙂 I think you get the point!
Enter to WIN Zeezok’s Book 1 Collection!
I highly recommend this entire curriculum set and am incredibly grateful to own it.
I hope one reader here wins the Book 1 collection Zeezok is giving away between now and March 20th (ending at 11:59 p.m.); a winner will be chosen on Friday, March 21st. Prize shipped to U.S. mailing address only.
Consider investing in your family’s music education by purchasing the collection; Domestic readers can use this code – ihomeschool – to receive a 10% discount through March 21st!
Pssst…should you WIN the set, Zeezok will refund your purchase price!