Inspiring Reading for Parents:
- Educating the WholeHearted Child
- For the Children’s Sake
- No Ordinary Home: The Uncommon Art of Christ-Centered Homemaking
- Upgrade: 10 secrets to the best education for your child–my absolute favorite book on homeschooling & education in general :: read several times!
- Real Learning–a bit of Catholic perspective, full of information to encourage true, authentic learning in the home
- Seven Things to Know Before You Begin Homeschooling
- A Mother’s Heart: A Look at Values, Vision and Character for the Christian Mother–tremendous, inspiring, I’ve almost memorized sections of this one.
- The most eye-opening article from a homeschooling veteran, much wisdom to be gleaned. There’s great stuff here even if you’re not educating at home! It’s long; I’ve read it in smaller chunks.
Developing Good Habits & Attitudes
- Laying Down the Rails :: every parent should have one of these; it’s FULL of wisdom on character training & habit training for both parents and children.
Educational Philosophy :: I would describe our children as being ‘classically educated in a Charlotte Mason style’ if the need arose to explain our homeschooling. To make sense of this statement, here are a few links:
- Charlotte Mason’s Philosophies–a simple introduction on the various aspects of a CM education (from the viewpoint of this author)
- Simply Charlotte Mason
- The Well-Trained Mind–while I don’t adhere to everything explained in this book, much of it is enriching; see a description on classical education here
- Ambleside Online–a free online CM curriculum; even if not followed fully, it’s a helpful guide for establishing a foundation of excellence in literacy.